Take a leading approach in creating food inspired by New Zealand’s nature.
ZEALANDIA’s Rātā Café is an award winning café offering cuisine with a conscience and native twist. Our ethos is working with what nature provides to make delicious food and drink that is not only sustainable, but gives back to the earth. Our Kids Menu is very popular and has received an endorsements from the Heart Foundation and winning a Munch Food Award for the best kid’s menu in New Zealand.
The Head Chef will lead a hardworking kitchen team responsible for creating inspiring dishes for Rātā Café. The Head Chef works with the Manager Rātā Café to propose menus and food products that enhance the brand of ZEALANDIA and Rātā Café, increase profits and improves customer satisfaction.
ZEALANDIA’s Rātā Café operates from 8am to 5pm 7 days per week. The applicant should be available to work through the week. Some work afterhours and on public holidays may be required to support long weekends and the occasional afterhours function.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading the kitchen to create menu and food items in accordance with brand guidelines and standards as agreed with the Manager Rātā Cafe. Implementing process to ensure that the kitchen can deliver to those standards at all times (e.g. menu, counter food, functions).
- Managing the kitchen operations and develops kitchen plans to ensure that the kitchen continuously achieves standards as agreed with the manager on food presentation, hygiene, and timeliness.
- Maximising the food margins in Rātā Café by ensuring that the costs to make all food products are known and kept up to date, keeping in mind the advantage of seasonal produce.
- Managing kitchen staff including staff training, performance management, the kitchen roster and leave requests.
- Maintaining the kitchen cleaning plan and ensures that the kitchen is cleaned in accordance with the Food Control Plan. Ensures that the kitchen is spotless at the end of each shift.
- Managing stock to the agreed targets and undertakes monthly stock take for the café kitchen.
Ideally you will have:
- 2+ years experience in a similar role.
- Experience managing kitchen staff.
- Completed NZQA food hygiene unit standards and in cooking and/or hospitality.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work competently under pressure.
- Committed to team, establishment and excellence in food service.
- Vegetarian and vegan food knowledge (preferred).
Benefits you get from working with us:
- Membership to ZEALANDIA
- Competitive salary.
- Sociable working hours.
We will be interviewing for this role as applications come in, so apply now!
To apply, please email your cover letter, application form and CV to email@example.com
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or valid NZ work visa. Applications close Friday 19 February 2021.